Wednesday 10 July 2013

Siem Reap Tips

It's a year since I have been to Europe and I feel bad how much I haven't blogged much about my adventure. I know that a lot of memories from that trip are probably gone now and I feel terribly awful. I guess it takes a considerable amount of willpower to enjoy travel and write about it at the same time.

Now I'm "forcing" myself to write at least a blog post a week. I'm used "force" as the operative word because the effort doesn't come naturally as it used to be when I still in Mindanao.

Still i'd think to rather post my rambling in my blog then tweak it a bit later if only to make us of the momentum.

Let me start first with my recent Siem Reap adventure. All in all it had been a marvellous experience although have some regret. I'll post the top 5 tips on what to do or not to do in Siem Reap.

Here goes...

1. Stay close to the Market Area

We got booked in the Velkommen guest house. The accommodation was really good we got a twin room with AC at 14$/ night. I got disappointed though because their ad is misleading. I though it was a casual 15-walk to the Market Area but it was rather far. So the amount we've saved in the accommodation was eventually lost because we had to take a tuktuk (at least 2$ a ride) everytime we had to go to the market. Bummer.

If you want the party stay CLOSE to the market area. Before you make that booking in Hostelworld check out its location in Google map.

2.  Sunrise in Angkor Wat is OVERRATED

We had to wake up early for the Angkor Wat tour. But if the weather has shown to overcast in the past few days save the trouble of waking up early and do it in the morning but not too early.

3. Choose which bank to withdraw cash

Not all banks charge the same transaction fee. When you make that withdrawal in dollar currency verify first the amount of commission the bank would be charging.

4. Wear colored shirt. Avoid sleeveless and shorts. Wear shoes with good traction.

If you're planning to to do the temple tour wear bright colored shirt. Makes you stand out in pictures much better. Of course I am assuming you would want to stick out in your photos. There are temples that don't allow folks wearing sleeveless shirts so be forewarned. Avoid shorts as well since some paths intimate encounters with rocks and overgrowth. Saves you the trouble of itches, bruises and scrapes.
Temples can be very slippery so unless you just want to be have a boring view from the ground wear shoes with traction so you could clamber off those structures and enjoy the magnificent view from the top.

5. Try the Happy Pizza

If you want some "buzz" go to Angkor Pizza and say you want your pizza to be "Happy"

More to follow

Enjoy for now



No comments:

Post a Comment